City of Alexandria Elections
Filings for Council Members Wards I, II and IV open May 17, 2022.
Individuals who are eligible and desire to become a candidate for Council Member in Wards I, II and IV to be voted for at the November 8, 2022 municipal general election must file an Affidavit of Candidacy with the City Clerk. Should more than two candidates file for any one position a primary election will be held on Tuesday, August 9, 2022.
Affidavits of Candidacy will be accepted beginning at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 17, 2022, through 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 31, 2022. Affidavits of Candidacy, along with a $2 filing fee, must be filed in the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 704 Broadway.
The Mayor and Council Members serve a four-year term beginning January 1.
To file, candidates must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be eligible to vote
- Be a resident of the city for at least 30 days prior to the General Election
- Be 21 years of age or older on assuming office
- Pay a $2 filing fee
- Complete an Affidavit of Candidacy
Withdrawal from Election:
A candidate for a municipal elective office may withdraw from the election by filing an Affidavit of Withdrawal with the City Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. two days after the last day for filing affidavits of candidacy. Thereafter, no candidate may file an affidavit of withdrawal.
Affidavit of Candidacy:
The following individuals have filed their Affidavit of Candidacy:
Ward I: Bill Franzen
Ward II: Roger Thalman
Campaign Financial Reports:
An initial report is due within 14 days after receiving contributions or making disbursements of more than $750. (Campaign Financial Report)
- Subsequent reports are due 10 days before and 30 days after the election and each year by January 31 until a final report is filed.
- A final report is due when all debts are settled and all assets are disposed of in excess of $100. Once a final report is filed, no further reports are required.
- A Certification of Filing shall be submitted to the city clerk no later than seven days after the general or special election (Sec. 211A.05 MN Statutes)