City of Alexandria Elections
Filings for Mayor and Council Members Wards III and V open in May 2024.
Individuals who are eligible and desire to become a candidate for Mayor or for Council Member in Wards III and V to be voted for at the November 5, 2024 municipal general election must file an Affidavit of Candidacy with the City Clerk. Should more than two candidates file for any one position a primary election will be held on Tuesday, August 13, 2024.
Affidavits of Candidacy will be accepted beginning at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, May 14, 2024, through 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, May 28, 2024. Affidavits of Candidacy, along with a $2 filing fee, must be filed in the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 704 Broadway.
The Mayor and Council Members serve a four-year term beginning January 1.
To file, candidates must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be eligible to vote
- Be a resident of the city for at least 30 days prior to the General Election
- Be 21 years of age or older on assuming office
- Pay a $2 filing fee
- Complete an Affidavit of Candidacy
Withdrawal from Election:
A candidate for a municipal elective office may withdraw from the election by filing an Affidavit of Withdrawal with the City Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. two days after the last day for filing affidavits of candidacy. Thereafter, no candidate may file an affidavit of withdrawal.
Affidavit of Candidacy:
The following individuals have filed their Affidavit of Candidacy:
Ward I: Bill Franzen
Ward II: Roger Thalman
Campaign Financial Reports:
An initial report is due within 14 days after receiving contributions or making disbursements of more than $750. (Campaign Financial Report)
- Subsequent reports are due 10 days before and 30 days after the election and each year by January 31 until a final report is filed.
- A final report is due when all debts are settled and all assets are disposed of in excess of $100. Once a final report is filed, no further reports are required.
- A Certification of Filing shall be submitted to the city clerk no later than seven days after the general or special election (Sec. 211A.05 MN Statutes)