Election Information – City of Alexandria MN
City elections are held on even numbered years. The elected officials for the city consist of the mayor and five council members and their term of office is four years. The City is divided into five wards.
The City Clerk’s office is responsible for conducting the local, state and federal elections.
Frequently Asked Questions
2022 Notice of General Election
2022 General Election Sample Ballot
Voter Registration Information
In Minnesota, you must meet the following requirements to register and vote:
- Be at least 18 years of age on Election Day;
- Be a United States Citizen; and have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day;
- Not be under guardianship of a person;
- Not be found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote; or
- Not been convicted of a felony without having your civil rights restored.
In addition, anytime you move or change your name, you will need to re-register to vote. You can pre-register to vote up to 21 days prior to an election. This will save you time at the polls on Election Day. You may pre-register by filling out a Registration Card or at the time you renew your driver’s license.
Register to Vote | Election Day Voting | Other Ways to Vote
Election Day Registration
You may also register to vote at your polling place on Primary Election Day or General Election Day with acceptable identification allowed by state law:
- A Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit or Minnesota ID card showing your current address.
- A “Notice of Late Registration” received from Douglas County if your registration card was received after the last day to pre-register.
- A registered voter living in your precinct who will accompany you to the polling location and who will vouch for your residency.
- An existing registration in the same precinct at another address. This applies only if the voter has moved within the same precinct or changed their name.
- A combination of a valid photo ID and a current utility bill. The photo ID must be a MN Driver’s License, MN ID Card, US Passport, US Military Photo ID, MN Tribal ID Card, or MN College ID (with a fee statement). The utility bill must be one for gas, electric, telephone, cable TV, solid waste, water or sewer services. The utility bill may be an original or copy of an electronic bill which shows the voter’s name and current address in the precinct. The due date on the bill must be a bill showing a due date 30 days before or after the election.
Are you interested in seeing democracy in action? The City of Alexandria is continually recruiting election judges to serve during fall elections. An election judge serves on a team responsible for the administration of the election procedures on Election Day. If you are interested, please completed an application and return it to the elections division.
- This is a paid position and training is provided.
- Minnesota State Law allows time off from work without loss of wages to serve as an election judge as long as you provide at least a 20-day notice to your employer.
- Students who are at least 16 years of age may serve as trainee election judges.
- Election judges are required to attend a minimum of two hours of training, for which you will be paid.
Become an election judge