A capital campaign is underway to fund the much-needed expansion of the Runestone Community Center (RCC), Alexandria’s premier venue for on-ice activities and dry-floor events since 1978. This important project will benefit the entire community by maximizing opportunities for concerts, curling, figure skating, graduations, hockey, open skating, seminars, and trade shows.
“As the premier venue for on-ice activities and dry-floor events in the Alexandria area, the RCC is truly the heart of our community,” said Kent Kopp, chair of the Capital Campaign Committee. “Just like when the current RCC was built, we are looking to our businesses and neighbors to invest in this much-needed project that will help our community meet the demands of today and tomorrow.”
The project is broken into three phases. Phases 1 and 2 are underway. The timing and scope of Phase 3 largely depends upon continued community support.
- Phase 1 will renovate of the south end of the RCC, including locker rooms, restrooms, and upper-level support space.
- Phase 2 will expand the main lobby, relocate the concession stand and add space to the southeast end of the building on both levels. This includes new team rooms, support space, an elevator and improved circulation.
- Phase 3 will add a third arena for on-ice activities and dry-floor events. The goal is to include meeting areas, training space and access to both levels. This phase is dependent upon reaching the $8.8 million fundraising goal, of which $3.7 million already has been committed from naming rights partnerships with PrimeWest Health, Bremer Bank and Hilltop Lumber. Additional commitments have been made by Alexandria Area Hockey Association, Alexandria Figure Skating Club and individual donors.
To push this much-needed project across the finish line, we need support from our community. Click on the links below to make a multiyear pledge or one-time donation. No amount is too small! Businesses and individuals who contribute $500 or more will secure a spot on the new donor wall in the RCC.
- June 2023 – Alexandria City Council approves design development on all three phases of the renovation and expansion project and construction documents on phases one and two
- June 2023 – Alexandria Chamber of Commerce Listen & Learn (recording and presentation)
- April 2023 – Runestone Community Center Expansion Project inches closer to the finish line with significant backing from Alexandria Area Hockey Association (news release)
- March 2023 – PrimeWest Health pledges $1.425 million to secure exclusive naming rights to the facility (news release)
- February 2023 – Bremer Bank and Hilltop Lumber pledge $325,000 and $300,000, respectively, to the project and secure exclusive naming rights to the east arena for Bremer Bank and the new arena for Hilltop Lumber (news release)
- August 2022 – Online Giving is established
- October 2021 – Capital Campaign Committee is formed
- February 2021 – City hires JLG Architects to design architectural renderings (RFP)
- October 2020 – State bonding bill is passed, which includes $5.6 million allocated to the RCC Expansion Project