A capital campaign is underway to fund the much-needed expansion of the Runestone Community Center (RCC), Alexandria’s premier venue for on-ice activities and dry-floor events since 1978. This important project will benefit the entire community by maximizing opportunities for concerts, curling, figure skating, graduations, hockey, open skating, seminars, and trade shows.
“People came together many years ago to create the RCC, united behind a vision for creating a facility that would be an asset to the community,” said Kent Kopp, chair of the Capital Campaign Committee. “We all have an opportunity and a role to play in building upon their legacy and ensuring the RCC meets the demands of today and tomorrow.”
The project is broken into three phases. Phases 1 and 2 are underway. The timing and scope of Phase 3 depends upon continued community support.
- Phase 1 will renovate of the south end of the RCC, including locker rooms, restrooms, and upper-level support space.
- Phase 2 will expand the main lobby, relocate the concession stand and add space to the southeast end of the building on both levels. This includes new team rooms, support space, an elevator and improved circulation.
- Phase 3 will add a third arena for on-ice activities and dry-floor events. The goal is to include meeting areas, training space and access to both levels. This phase is dependent upon reaching the $8.8 million fundraising goal, of which $3.5 million already has been committed from naming rights partnerships with PrimeWest Health, Bremer Bank and Hilltop Lumber. Additional commitments have been made by Alexandria Area Hockey Association and individual donors.
The goal is to raise $8.8 million by Dec. 31, 2023 and break ground in 2024. To push this much-needed project across the finish line, we need support from families and businesses like yours. Click on the links below to make a multiyear pledge or one-time donation. Donors who contribute $500 or more will have the opportunity to be recognized on a donor wall in the RCC.
For questions about the project, contact Marty Schultz, City Administrator, at [email protected] or (320) 759-3629.
- July 2023 – Donation deadline extended from July 31 to Dec. 31, 2023
- June 2023 – Alexandria City Council approves design development on all three phases of the renovation and expansion project and construction documents on phases one and two
- June 2023 – Alexandria Chamber of Commerce Listen & Learn (recording and presentation)
- April 2023 – Runestone Community Center Expansion Project inches closer to the finish line with significant backing from Alexandria Area Hockey Association (news release)
- March 2023 – PrimeWest Health pledges $1.425 million to secure exclusive naming rights to the facility (news release)
- February 2023 – Bremer Bank and Hilltop Lumber pledge $325,000 and $300,000, respectively, to the project and secure exclusive naming rights to the east arena for Bremer Bank and the new arena for Hilltop Lumber (news release)
- August 2022 – Online Giving is established
- October 2021 – Capital Campaign Committee is formed
- February 2021 – City hires JLG Architects to design architectural renderings (RFP)
- October 2020 – State bonding bill is passed, which includes $5.6 million allocated to the RCC Expansion Project