The City’s mission, vision and guiding principles are based the City’s current position and outlook for the future. The City of Alexandria is committed to achieving a shared plan for the organization and its community. The mission, vision and guiding principles (values) are designed to set the City and organization on a course that meets the challenges of today and tomorrow.
The Mission of the City of Alexandria is to be a progressive regional center defined by purposeful growth and community partnerships.
Vision Statement: Alexandria is committed to efficient and effective delivery of quality services and strategic investments that improve the quality of life for all its citizens and visitors and the sustainable management of city resources.
The following six Guiding Principles serve as the primary core values of the Strategic Plan and the measure of its success. Each of the individual principles is critically important, yet these six principles are interrelated, and a balanced approach following all principles will help to ensure a solid and sustainable city foundation for future generations.
- Growing Community – Alexandria will grow to accommodate new residents, visitors and employees while maintaining the community’s quality of life.
- Sustainable Community – Alexandria is a sustainable community that limits its impact on natural resources and on the local, regional and global environment.
- Complete Community – Alexandria is a well integrated city with a transportation system that encourages connectivity and multimodal options, public facilities and neighborhoods.
- Inclusive Community – Alexandria is a welcoming, vibrant, diverse and culturally rich community with opportunities for positive social interaction and inclusive of all citizens.
- Healthy Community – Alexandria encourages and provides for healthy, active living through public policies and community design.
- Engaged Community – Alexandria encourages and facilitates meaningful community participation, collaboration, leadership and is efficient, open and responsive to community needs and concerns.